Operating within the Office of the Executive Vice President for University Academic Affairs, the University Transfer Office (UTO) is a system-wide office responding to all aspects of transfer over seven campuses, two locations, and online. The office, headed by AVP Gentle-Genitty as the Director for Transfer, works directly with campus leaders, admissions staff, and the University Student Services & Systems to respond to campus and student efficiencies, credit and rule processing, and systems software management. UTO, through a focus on access, accuracy, and application, responds to external compliance and development, policy development, guidance and training, and response to national needs, trends, and best practices in serving transfer students and those who bring credit into the university.
Who we are
What we believe
Transfer is a shared responsibility between the university and individual campuses. Indiana University assures that students’ credit is transferred accurately and appropriately, with the goals of setting priorities and implementing these practices where they are not yet in place. The University Transfer Office provides university-wide services and systems, and assists the campuses in establishing and maintaining best-practice transfer policies and procedures.
What we do
We work to improve your transfer process through policy, new curriculum, and partnerships with the state and the university. We try to keep track of what you need, get the right people working together, and develop processes that work for you.
What is articulation?Articulation agreements are partnerships between IU and other institutions to ensure a smooth transition to IU. These agreements predict how your previous courses will transfer and fit into your future at IU, based on what you have done and what you need to do.
We work with the following university and statewide agencies:
- Indiana Commission for Higher Education
- Statewide Transfer and Articulation Committee
- IU Articulation and Transfer Committee
- IU Campus Transfer Specialist Committee
- IU Regional Campus Transfer and Partnership Advisory Board
- IU Campus Admissions
- University Student Services & Systems
- University Institutional Research and Reporting
Our organizations, groups, and associations
UTO staff has affiliations with the following professional organizations, groups, and associations:
- National Institute for the Study of Transfer Students
- American Council on Education National Task Force on Transfer of Credit
- NACADA: The global community for academic advising
- Jaguar Academic Advising Association
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators